Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Jungle Wars: Island of Lingor

Latest versions: Lingor v1.5 | Lingor Units v1.3!

Download & More Info: http://www.icebreakr.info

Milestones:

May 17 2013 Lingor 1.5 released

Dec27 2010 - Lingor Units v1 released

Jul 28 2011 Lingor 1.3 released

Apr 5 2012 Lingor v1.337 released

May 13 2012 Lingor Units v1.3 released

May 17 2012 Lingor 1.4 released

Hi guys!

lingor_14.jpg

jetski.jpg

In this topic we discuss my 4th island project for Arma 2. Its the fictional island... Lingor, somewhere near equator.

Inspiration

Inspiration for the project is that I've been waiting for years for a proper optimised jungle map.

You have to understand that vegetation full map is a whole different matter in BIS engine. PCs that were able to run Duala/Jade Groove on max settings & view distance 5000m+ will probably only have sufficient FPS with 1000-1500m distance on Lingor. That concerns mostly the pilots (jets/mid-alt choppers). Grunts will have to cope with limited visibility so that won't affect them. Flying with UH-1 just above tree tops is also fps sufficient. ArmA2 engine doesn't handle well thick forests in areas bigger than 1km. So I will try to break up large view-distances with couple of hills.

Second inspiration comes from three different things. First is the board game by Stefan Dorra named Amazonas, that I just love. Board game features a nice amazon river and many villages to occupy. Hopefully Lingor scenery will be a bit similiar with the river setting.

Features/Description

lingorlogo.gif

Sketch:

lingormap.jpg

Heartpoint of island is a big town on East. It will feature an army base and a large airport for all kinds of operations. Town is surrounded by jungle on W and South. Road then leads throught it to SW. Its the only paved road that connects the whole island. Amazon-like river splits the somewhat urban part on North and totally rural on South.

Rivers banks won't be steep (as in many of my older maps) and mangrove vegetation will cover the most banks. Only few places will be suitable for ship landing.

Jungles will have foot-path trails and couple of farms will be situated under thick canopy trees. Not all of the jungle will be thick, so pilots will be able to touch down on many clearings and drop off/pickup troops.

There will be no bridges (due to AI bugs) only couple of shallow passings.

Tourists enjoy the stay in main town as couple of nice beaches can be found. But the major touristic point are the towns on NW. There are even couple of lakes. Many hiking trips are available, but only few guides are eager to lead tourist south of the big river.

Sides

Government army controls the main town and is patrolling the Northern part where many ambushes by rebel happen. Southern part is a hiding place for many escaped convicts, drug dealers and rebel faction that is fighting for the control of the island. International peace-keeping team is based in armybase in main town and performs regular anti-rebel raids and patrol operations. It is also well known fact that US and UK and some other European armies train their specops in the highly-humid and mosquito-infested forests of Lingor.

When rebel positions are raided in the jungle they often retreat to the unreachable places in mountains-area on SW part of Lingor. Units are already done.

Hopefully you will start to love Lingor when you get relieved of Arrowhead desert tour of duty :)

Storyline:

Lin'gor. A small volcanic island with thick tropic vegetation and very little natural resources. The locals survive mainly with fishing and tourism. Only known natives are the Tay'zoon, meaning „the ones from outside“. In their ancient language, the Scoo'pnee, the name of the Island has an intriguing meaning. Lin meaning hunt and gor meaning ground, which translates to „hunting ground“.

After the first foreigners came to the island they were overwhelmed by the hospitality of the natives. For the people setting foot for the first time in this tropical paradise it was unconcievable why did the natives want to leave this island. They learned of many myths and legends about the „hunters from afar“ that supposedly visited the island every now and then. The elders told horrifying tales of these hunters, who would first kidnap the strongest and bravest men of the tribes and then hunt them down for pleasure, supposedly to prove their worth to their females.

Many curious adventurers came looking for proof, but most were persuaded from thoroughly checking the stories by the thick and inhospitable jungle that covers the vast majority of the island. Those who persisted often met horrible ends. Some ended up sick and dehidrated, stranded from civilisation, dieing alone in the mid of this green hell. Others returned insane, telling stories of some monsters that chased and killed most of their teams. No bodies were ever recovered. There exists no official record of these animals/creatures, only the stories of the elders.

Military leaders assure that these are stories for children and that there's no truth to it. Independent researchers did however get hold of military reports about units lost to „unknown cause“. Common too all these „unknown cause“ cases were the lack of bodies. One could even think that these soldiers met the famed hunters, the monsters from Lin'gor. But then again, these are just stories for children. I am sure there's nothing to worry about. -- Peter Grozni.

Screenshots

http://www.shrani.si/?47/QG/bGWBiBZ/lingorparango.jpg

http://www.shrani.si/?2f/eO/X8liKWS/lingorarl.jpg

http://www.shrani.si/?17/8J/1tKo3qVL/fobeddie.jpg

http://www.shrani.si/?3k/E3/32e5fTN/lingorriverpatrol.jpg

http://www.shrani.si/?2G/56/21d3SHEf/lingorriverpatrol2.jpg

Update 31/8: Thanks to Snakeman[PMC] for his contribution to wld427 when working on the A-4M Skyhawk unit for PRACS & Lingor GAL Airforce.

Edited by IceBreakr

Great , somekind like vietnam or columbia map like in Predator movie :)

Good luck with this ;)

Sweet another epic island on the way :cool:

P.S. please post WIP pictures soon :D

good luck ice. if i come across some good house models i will send them your way

Oh wow.

That's awesome news. Wish you good luck. I would love to play on a great jungle map.:yay: hope you can make it perform well.

regards

Oh, finally my wish will come true :) Great news! Oh yes, I already got numerous ideas for some tasty missions ^^

looks great. Is the airport elevated? It would be beautiful to land on an airport in the clouds.. :D

I can see what i can do about houses, I'll drop you a PM if my modeler is free

Nice stuff IceBreakr, I think a lone overgrown ruin somewhere deep in the jungle would look cool.

If you're interested I could sent you over some objects I'm using for my Stargate Map, e.g. :

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4864/74119660.jpg

With CG textures they can be easily retextured with a more jungle-like stone texture.

Nice stuff IceBreakr, I think a lone overgrown ruin somewhere deep in the jungle would look cool.

If you're interested I could sent you over some objects I'm using for my Stargate Map, e.g. :

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4864/74119660.jpg

With CG textures they can be easily retextured with a more jungle-like stone texture.

Good idea and that ruin building looks great :cool:

IcrBreakr again a coming masterpiece... So soon we got it all, Post-Apo, Jungle, Desert and Temperate... sounds sweet...!

Woohoo First person to ask.. 'whens the expected due date' Wait that sounds like your pregnant, hell no.

Do it the EA style hype up the map as much as possible and then let it disappoint. wait crap. im rabbling again.

Keep up the good work, Another excellent map Icebreaker.

Another one!? I think so! Cheers matey look forward to it. Looking like somthing the vietnam community i'm in could use with boat patrols and jungle contact!. What building emplacments are you looking at any chance of thise huts out of duala?

Regards Jeza

I hope so, that would be awesome

I'm sure this map will lead to a lot of "one IS down" moments :D

This....Is...AWESOME!!

The story sounds good and the map looks even better!!

Damn, I've been waiting for a proper Jungle map since ArmA 1!

That little description of the island you gave is exactly what I wanted!

I'll try to think of some ideas that you could hopefull implement into this island...This is gonna be an island right?

Definitely use those Ruins Icewindo suggested to you! They look awesome!!

Hopefully you will start to love Lingor when you get relieved of Arrowhead desert tour of duty :)

I'm already starting to love it!

This map has ALOT of potential. :D

One thing I wanna say and hopefully you read this is, please take your time on this and add as many small details as possible. Even just added a broken down car or two nearby each other in the middle of the jungle makes the atmosphere so much better. It makes you believe as if some one was once there, someone once lived there. It would surely help make the map feel more alive.

As for Civilians? Have you made new ones, because I think your Dualan Civilians would fit in fine on this map, maybe make some faces white though.

Naow lets see some screens of those units!

Edited by Enad

buildings for the bigger town, can you post some photos of real life buildings of the style you want and I will see what i can do.

We have no intel on rebel units, luckly a US Marine sent us a greeting card:

lingor01s.jpg

Hey, Master IceBreakr, I do expect the new island could have the features of East Asia, kindly like the island from "Far Cry" or "Crisis".

Yeah I did like the Jungle Map in Crysis. Maybe you could get some inspiration from that. :)