Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Site Proposal: Missions and Scripts

The addon request thread is quite popular and it got me thinking about scripts and missions.

While addons are very popular and most are on peoples hard drives and ofp.info it is not the same for scripts and missions. Over the years OFP has seen the creation of a lot of missions and scripts but with the OFPEC crash and the switch to ArmA a lot of these have disappeared and only remain on a persons hard drive.

I was thinking that I would create a site that could be accesses by me and some others trustworthy members from what's left of the OFP community. We could access it and upload what missions and scripts we have and so ensuring that they are hosted and can be accessed by the community.

Small and/or hard to get addons could also be hosted.

I would use Google Sites because it is free and extremely easy to use.

http://www.google.com/sites/help/intl/en/overview.html

What do you guys think? Worth it for the increasingly hard to find missions and scripts or a waste of time?

or perhaps a better drive would be for people to post scripts to OFPEC, that is the recognised resource website.

Definitely doing anything that is related to OFP is a waste of time.

What do you guys think? Worth it for the increasingly hard to find missions and scripts or a waste of time?

I think it's a good idea and not a waste of time. Additionally, I think what R0adki11 mentioned is a good idea, as well.

Good idea Snafu, more sources to find OFP missions and scripts are always interesting in case some of those sources crash and can't recover every content like OFPEC in the past.

I just thought that instead of cloning the same web over and over you (people) could write new MP stats. Because the old one is not working and won't be fix (I've talked to the admin). Also some game tracking stuff could come in handy.

That would be useful. Not another resource site which no one really use.

I'm absolutely agree with you- (I'm sarcastic), so perhaps we should like part of the community sit on their asses and do nothing?Superb idea - make this ranking what does for Faguss!

Edited by Bielow
small correct

Faggus maybe you can write new Mp stats and game tracking stuff on your site then you will be satisfied...

If you don't like our web, I have a simple solution-Don't look:D.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

All the creators for OFP go to the Arma2, because faguss tells us at the OFP is a waste of time. For some ARMA 2 is a waste of time because they have enough if someone told them what they must to do. And Operation Flashpoint is a springboard for them, where they can quietly work on new addons or simply they have too weak PC for Arma.

Operation Flashpoint has its own charm and atmosphere like is not in ARMA/ARMA2

Sorry for double post. :/

Most of the community?? which community are we talking about? :) seems that most people who still post here(ofp section) is doing some kind of editing for the game still. And yes doing work for OFP is mostly a waste of time, thats kind of the point, wasting time when you should be doing something sensible:D. And the modders for OFP left long time ago.

STGN

Edited by STGN
to much bla bla

you (people) could write new MP stats. Because the old one is not working and won't be fix (I've talked to the admin). Also some game tracking stuff could come in handy.

You must have missed PowerUser's "OFPMonitor". It dosen't give you a history of games played and number of players like OFP servers stats did, but here is what it does do.

1. Shows current active servers

2. Shows current games being played, who's playing, who's died and squad they belong to

3. It gives server IP and port and tells you if a password is required

4. Like with OFPWatch it tells you what addons are required and you can link mod folders to servers and watch servers and launch OFP just like in OFPWatch.

http://github.com/downloads/Poweruser/OFPMonitor/OFPMonitor_v1.23.zip

The way I had read Faguss' quote, I thought he was joking/being sarcastic, actually not too far off of STGN's assessment of OFP activity. Hopefully it was a joke, b/c I thought it was funny. I don't think the work he's done w/ fwatch has been a waste of time - it's really cool stuff: go to his site and check the YouTube vid of SPIG he posted yesterday.

Zulu's tip is good stuff, too, btw. . . Thanks, man!

Edit: Link to

Edited by Anguis

Click me

I started uploading stuff to the site a couple of years ago but abandoned it. Had some free time today so I started making a mission but found that some recent scripts I wanted to try were missing motivated me to fire the site up again and upload what I had.

I limited it to scripts because the site just doesn't have the storage space for missions on top of that. Yeah, it's nothing fancy, the point was just to get them up somewhere where they're less likely to disappear forever.

Edited by Snafu

Click me

I started uploading stuff to the site a couple of years ago but abandoned it. Had some free time today so I started making a mission but found that some recent scripts I wanted to try were missing motivated me to fire the site up again and upload what I had.

I limited it to scripts because the site just doesn't have the storage space for missions on top of that. Yeah, it's nothing fancy, the point was just to get them up somewhere where they're less likely to disappear forever.

Thank you for uploading those scripts! Great work :thumbsup:

A more reliable host for sharing missions would be great, I'm sick of using one click hosting for <1MB mission files. Some kind of organisation is badly needed for the existing mission repositories into more than just SP Missions/MP Missions. Armaholic's scenario section is organised well, but you should also have separate categories for missions built for popular mods/TCs. E.g. You might want to just look for missions using WW4 weapons/units.

but you should also have separate categories for missions built for popular mods/TCs. E.g. You might want to just look for missions using WW4 weapons/units.

http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=search

Find all missions requiring a specific addon by searching that addon name (for example "Belgian Army") and selecting the prefered mission type.

You can of course select multiple missiontype sections to search through as well for that specific addon.

^^ now that was completely useless :)

Edited by Guest

:butbut:

That is what I get for posting after just coming out of the airplane returning from holiday. Lessons learned I say.......... lets not post for the rest of the day and relax some first :)

I'm glad......I'm not the last guy playing this game. Can we please make friends? I'm doing a mission series and nobody is online anymore, somebody has to be playing. i mean recently i found out how to do the cool stuff, now everyone's gone.

Edited by BronzeEagle
more info

^^ now that was completely useless :)

Well I wouldn't say it was utterly useless :p. I didn't know you could apply that filter to search Armaholic, but I think when you're browsing scenarios by type it should clearly state on the short description which addons are required for the mission. In fact it would be nice if it hyperlinked each addon in the requirement list, clicking an addon hyperlink would automatically search for similar mission types for that addon (so missions that also use the addon and are in the same scenario category).

I'm doing a mission series and nobody is online anymore, somebody has to be playing. i mean recently i found out how to do the cool stuff, now everyone's gone.

It should be pretty clear to you from the relatively high activity of this forum (given the age of the game) that people are still making missions for the game. I'm in the somewhat unusual position of not having to release missions in order to play it multiplayer with reasonable numbers of people every day (I don't even need to play online). So I have a backlog of a hundred or so decent multiplayer missions just sitting on my hard disk, having a reliable place to host them would be a motivation to release more. Although the best stuff I've done will be coming out as part of MWC anyway (assuming I can find a host for that!).

Edited by *Zeewolf*