View Full Version : Where do I extract pbos?
Jan 23 2010, 17:30
I wanted to texture things and just put the .paa textures in my mission folder.
heres what I did.
1. I extract air.pbo into my desktop (easy place to find it)
2. I copy some .paa files out of air.pbo, create .tga files to edit them. Then I recreate .paa files using my new textures and put them in my mission folder.
3. I recreate the air.pbo and put it back into my arma 2/add-ons folder.
4. I start the game and the check mark loading screen tells me "blah blah blah requires air.pbo" but clearly I already put air.pbo into the add-ons folder.
5. the game starts and I am missing everything that was in that air.pbo.
Can anyone tell me how to extract and recreate pbos without having this problem?
Jan 24 2010, 00:43
What program are you using to un-pbo and pbo ? cPBO ?
Maybe you need to remove the corresponding Air pbo SIGNATURE file ...... maybe ArmAII wont use it because it no longer matches.
.... you did save a copy of the original air.pbo right !?
Jan 24 2010, 01:09
ty for reply, I use cpbo, and yes, I did make a copy. To see if that was the problem I replace the one a repacked with the original-no luck. reinstalling it didnt help either.
Jan 26 2010, 11:19
Confused by what youre trying to say, but 1 comment, unpacking and then repacking a air.PBO won't mean it stays "original".
Only a copy of the original air.PBO file is "original"
If in fact you do have a copy of the original air.pbo, and that doesn't work, then you have far more serious issues that defy normal reasons.
Have you tampered with other original ArmAII files ?
Jan 27 2010, 00:07
I have not tampered with any other files.
I copied the original air.pbo. thats 1
then i extracted air.pbo. thats 2
then when I replaced the "tampered" air.pbo with the copy of the original, it still says says there is no air.pbo, but when i run arma 2 as administrator, it works perfectly.
I wanna make skins for a helicopter, but I need to extract air.pbo for that,
which messes everything up for me when I play arma 2(not running as admin).
I have heard to not mess with original .pbos, but how am i supposed to get the textures?
If you understand this , thanks...
I'm having a similar problem as described above:
I want to change some of the trees in plants2_Tree.pbo - so I:
1. Copy it to a working folder.
2. Extract it using Eliteness and set aside a copy of the extracted plants2_tree folder for safekeeping.
3. Make the changes I want (basically making copies of green tree types and renaming them to be the brown tree types - ie. to get rid of brown trees by replacing them with green types).
4. Repack the pbo and copy it into my ARMA2 addons folder.
5. Run the game and it's saying it cant find various textures - result: no trees in the game.
6. So I try to repack a copy of the original unpacked plants2_tree folder - ie. copied before any changes - and it doesn't work either.
I unpacked the packed pbo from 6 above and it's structure seems alright - including the textures being present that the game is saying it can't find.
I've successfully been unpacking, altering and repacking both chernarus.pbo and missions.pbo with no dramas - but weapons.pbo is causing the same dramas - it SEEMS to be any pbo's that contain multiple folder levels which are causing problems when repacked....... double headscratch.
Oh, and the situation is exactly the same when I try the same process using ARMA: Tools - ie. BinPBO
EDIT / UPDATE: Am having no problems now unpacking and repacking weapons.pbo (have halved the amount and doubled the speed of recoils) - swear I'm doing it the same as before but suddenly it's working. Still no luck with plants2_Tree.pbo tho.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.