View Full Version : Problems with 4096 map and sat-texture
Did anyone manage to apply a sat-texture to a 4096x4096 map?
No matter what I do, the cell textures and rvmats seem to be created fine, just Buldozer doesn't display any textures (and neither does the game engine when exporting and packing the wrp).
My config, rvmats, layer.cfg and mask-texture are fine since they work when used on a 2048x2048 map.
Also using different sized sat- and mask-textures in different sizes doesn't seem to make a difference.
As long as applied to a 2048x2048 map all is fine, but on a 4096x4096 map I can't seem to get any textures to show up in Buldozer or ingame.
I did get a 20480 sat_lco working on a 4096 island map. So, it is possible. Can I recreate my steps? At the moment no, my brain is too tired, but I will do so tomorrow.
My mask_lco is not working totally correctly yet, but that will wait until tomorrow as well.
I think when I set up the island, I selected 4096 and 7m. The I chose 20480, applied, and then 28m size. My mask_lco is also 20480 (but I think that is why it is not working - I think it needs to be the same size as the map - just like the terrain.png file).
Any of this making sense?
Small Pic of it working in Buldozer (http://usmc-warriors.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=434.0;attach=142;image)
Romolus, there is nothing preventing you to get textures in place on 4096x4096 map, except of some mistake in Project Parameters settings or paths in rvmats or layers.cfg. Maybe somebody will be better able to help if you tell us what is terrain resolution, Texture Layer size, Satellite Grid value etc. for your map. And of course, obey The Rule of Opteryx: check if all the paths in all the files you're using are correct. http://forums.bistudio.com/oldsmileys/smile_o.gif
Phaeden, size of satellite texture and mask should be the same, 20480^2 px for both images is correct.
look inside your layers directory, and open up one of the rvmats in a text editor. check to see if they are pointing to PAA or PNG, i had this problem, where i had to edit each rvmat, that had the word PAA 2 PNG. after that it worked fine http://forums.bistudio.com/oldsmileys/smile_o.gif
IF this is the problem, there should be many programs, that can do a batch, and change the word PAA in those files.
Jan 8 2008, 11:13
use notepad ++ and open about 800 (as it crashes opening about 1000) rvmats into it then replace png with paa to all docs open then save all then close all! 3 clicks and your done!!
Jan 8 2008, 12:31
TurboSR is a nice "no-install" multi-file search-replace tool.
Jan 8 2008, 14:00
Nice find Gnat! very usefull. I did use thinstall to make "search and replace" into a self executable bit like this.
Jan 20 2008, 12:15
sorry for not replying after my initial post, things have been a bit busy since then.
@<hidden>: Thanks for the heads up on this, as I was just about to abandon the idea of huge maps. Knowing that it worked for someone helped a lot for motivation.
@<hidden>: After your post I've had another go at the settings by reducing the texture grid to 1024 instead of 4096 to speed up the texture generation and it finally worked. Right now I don't recall the exact initial settings I've used with the 4096 texture grid, but I'll do some more testing on this when I have the time to figure out what exactly went wrong and report back again.
You made me start up the hex-editor again to see what exactly those various settings mean and figure it out once and for all. Thanks for that http://forums.bistudio.com/oldsmileys/smile_o.gif
@<hidden> and others: Binarizing the map usually takes care of converting the textures and rvmats, so that wasn't the problem. (It was the first thing I checked)
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.