View Full Version : Texture problem
i've been working on an island and decided to create my own textures for it. i've been using wrptool, so i've no experience with visitor (but i suppose i can still post this here http://forums.bistudio.com/oldsmileys/smile_o.gif.
the textures i made work fine in wrptool and even in the flashpoint mission editor, but when i enter ingame, the joints look really weird. i've enclosed a picure to show the problem:
any help would be appreciated!
Can you post a picture of what it looks like in the mission editor and in wrptool? That may help me figure out something.
sure. here are two shots from wrptool with and without cells and one from the ofp editor:
wrp tool (http://personal.inet.fi/private/cassu/wrp.jpg)
wrp tool 2 (http://personal.inet.fi/private/cassu/wrp2.jpg)
ofp editor (http://personal.inet.fi/private/cassu/Editor.jpg)
hope that helps!
Jan 8 2005, 08:16
I've never seen anything like that. Can't see the contours in the WRPtool screenshots, but the missioneditor and ingame shots seem to roughly match in terms of elevation.
Couple of questions:
1) What is the size of the textures?
2) Do you have any landgrid="n"; lines in your config, and if so, what is the value of N?
the textures are 256x256 and no, i don't have any landgrid lines on my island config. what's it for?
i made the textures from targa files and converted to paa files with png2pac. the files are named simply from 0.paa to 78.paa. since the textures had transitions already on them, i didn't need to do any in wrptool. would these things have any effect on the end result?
Jan 11 2005, 21:49
I would just try to make the standard ones and let visitor do the transitions and then put those into wrptool. Just in case. Also I would try naming them things like Q1 or R1 or whatever since that is what base textures are named in resistnace and what not.
i'll just post a little progress report on the problem here as well so that if someone comes up with some ideas, he'll know what i have already tried.
i did check that there was no alpha channels and i used a differenet targa->paa converter and a different pbo-compiler, but at least these didn't have any effect.
i placed the textures one by one into a flat island and they all seem to work fine when not connected with each other, so at least the actual files are not corrupted.
i then started making connections betweem certain textures and the problem finally occured. it seems that when certain (i think transition)textures are connected with certain other textures, the problem occurs.
the problem seems to be that these troublesome textures shift graphicly and also the textures next to them. this might be a bit difficult to explain, but a small part of the texture pattern from the opposite side of the texture is shifted to the other end of the texture, like the program would be rotating them around. in other words, the texture is there, but is in a way misplaced to its cell.
now why this happns is beyond me, but the only explanation i can now think of is the incorrect naming. or have i perhaps forgotten some important part of texture process that might be causing this aside from the naming?
i have not imported/exported those files into/from visitor so if there's something that needs to be done to the textures with that program, i might be missing it.
the way i did these was that i had the files as 256x256 targa files and no alpha channels. files are names from 0.tga to 77.tga. i then converted the tga files into .paa files with png2pac (and other variants) using dxt-compression (and also tried other compressions). after that i simple added them to the texture browser of wrptool and placed them all by hand (did not use the transition maker).
next i'm going to try the "correct" naming, but if that doesn't work i'm clueless.
oh and by the way, what exactly do you mean by "standard ones"?
Jan 13 2005, 23:23
Hm... I know that in ofp the texture is either rotated or mirrored or something when you turn it to a paa or something like that. So that might be why its happening. Atleast that happened in wrp edit sometimes. Ofcourse I thought that was only in the texture window. See what happens if you take the linking textures and you place them so they are opposite the way they are supposed to be.
By standard ones I mean the base textures with no transitions on them. Visitor is capable of making transition textures for you but I forgot how.
*Jake returns several moments later*
Jake believes this is done through the texture manager window and you must put all your textures into a folder and then follow instructions in the texture manager window.
So try using visitor for the transitions and name them things like U1 or I1 or something like that.
well, i ended up doing the textures in visitor with new names and now it seems that they work fine. phew..
the only problems are that indeed they are mirrored so i can't just replace them in the wrptool, plus the quality of the textures decreased for some reason.
thanks for the help anyway..
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.