View Full Version : More texturing problems
Ok... i have been trying this for quite a while. I've read all of the posts, instructions, tutorials and it still does not work. Here's a step by step look at how i try to add a texture, i would appreciate if anyone could gimmie a few pointers at what i'm doing wrong.
1.Press the A key to get "set, modify texture
2.Stretch out a square to cover the area of the model i want to texture
3. Right click, Load texture (i've tried all types, Gifs, Pacs, Tga's, and the gifs from the m16 tutorial) And nothing shows up on the background.
4. Even though nothing shows up on the background i select the part of the weapon i want textured and press "B" to see if anything will happen and it says, "No texture is loaded"
I have the programs set in all the directories recognized by the instructions, and the DLL's folder is in the right area and set. I've even tried reinstalling, and that does'nt do anything either. I don't know what i'm doing wrong, but it's getting very fustrating : x Any help would be appreciated.
I have a bunch of questions that could help us to find what is the problem.
What paths are you using for various files? Where is your O2 located? Where is your viewer (Buldozer)? Where is your texture conversion dll (pal2pac.dll)? Where is your model? Where are your textures? What format and size are your source textures?
<span style='font-family:verdana'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I've got kinda the same problem, but (I hobe) I solved it. So heres my explanation. First the paths where everyting is stored.
d:\o2_light <span style='color:blue'>// My O˛ application</span>
d:\o2_viewer <span style='color:blue'>// My Buldozer application</span>
d:\o2_viewer\tex <span style='color:blue'>// My texture directory</span>
As texture name prefix in O˛ I choose tex\.
Now everything works fine. I can see the textures in O˛ and in Buldozer. I hope this helpes.
Till later, PSC
P.S.: Ah yes, try to give your textures short names in general. Just to avoid problems.</span></span>
Well, i have everything the same as PSC but for the /tex directory correct. The pal2pac.dll is located in the same folder as buldozer and Pal2PacE (C:\o2viewer) As for the model and texture, they are in the same folder together under C:\o2viewer\models\M4M203. As for the format and size of the textures right now i am just trying to use the standard textures that came in the M16Tutorial.
Hope this helps, if ya'll got anymore questions, let me know http://www.flashpoint1985.com/ikonboard301/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Woohoo! I reinstalled and put all the programs in the directories PSC has down and it works now! Thanks for your help guys, i appreciate it http://www.flashpoint1985.com/ikonboard301/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">d:\o2_light[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
This is ok...
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">d:\o2_viewer[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
This is not ok... Buldozer works good only when is on root, so right path will be
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">d:\o2_viewer\tex[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
And texture directory should be in this case d:\tex
If are loaded textures not appearing in Oxygen, is probably wrongly set path for DLL folder. It should be same directory, where is your Oxygen installed. So d:\o2_light
I hope it helps...
May 5 2002, 20:01
OK. I've converted the directories to exactly what you guys have recommended.
I have made a dozen GIFs and corresponding PACs (Converted with TexView) and nothing IS F**ING LOADING!!!!
I have tried almost every variant of the GIF format (except transparency) and in several depths of colour. With the PACs it loads without complaint but displays nothing. The GIFs just don't load with the error "Unable To Convert Texture, PAC2PAL error!"
This, coupled with the lack of comprehensive tutorials and far from instinctive interface has virtually eradicated any interest in 3D modelling for OFP and has basically destroyed my C&C mod.
Can anyone help avert this final surrender?
EDIT: Is the texture convertor thing the error complains about supposed to be called "Pal2PacE"?
I have the problem, that O2 can`t convert my texturen from gif or tga. Is it recommend, that the drive where viewer is installed is empty, or is there another problem???
May 5 2002, 21:00
Peiper, are you sure the textures are 256x256 or 128x128 or 256x128 or something like that?? And are you sure the BMP are RGB??
I made a test file with 256x128 and RGB. I saved it under *.tga and *.gif, but O2 still can`t convert the texture!
May 6 2002, 17:34
i am having the same problem as well
Right now i want to thank you for all of your help in this. So far i have corrected everything that Araon suggested and it is working great. But i am having one problem -
1. Created a Custom texture (256 x 256) and saved it as .tga
2. Looked at it in texview, and it showed up fine. So i saved it as a .pac file as well.
3. Opened up a model in oxygen and set the texture up, and it showed fine in the background.
4. Pressed "B" to apply the texture to the selection and opened up Buldozer to see it.
5. When Buldozer comes up the selection is white, as if it were untextured. It is in the same folder as all of the other textures, so i have no clue why this is occuring. Does anyone have any idea's as to why? I have tried this with several different textures of all different sizes, but so far all of my customs will not show up in Buldozer.
this only tends to happen when it either can't read it or you have not named the file properly so it wont be able to read it.
May 12 2002, 13:21
I had this problem with the background textures, just make them the same size as the default m16 textures and save to gif and it should work.
May 23 2002, 02:47
Hmm..... in my case my textures work perfectly in Buldozer, but once imported into p3d I cann't see them in OFP
Antichrist, i had your problem as well, but it's easily solved http://www.flashpoint1985.com/ikonboard301/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
I'll just do a step by step for ya, and hopefully this will get ya going.
1. Wherever Buldozer is installed (in my case C:\o2viewer)
create a file in the name of the PBO you intend to make. Lets say... if you wanted to create an M16, you would have C:\o2viewer\M16.
2. Put all of your textures, Config, P3D's, and everything in that file that you will be using for your addon.
3. Open up the model in Oxygen and be sure you have 'texture library' opened which can be found under 'Window'.
4. When you open up your model, the textures that your model is using will show up there. Now, here's where it gets a little confusing. Hold Ctrl + Double click on a texture name in the library and it will highlight the mesh that is using that texture. Right click anywhere in the viewpoint to activate it and press "E". This will bring up a window entitled "Face Properties". On the very bottom is the location of the texture being used.
5. Click on the folder to the right of it and locate the same texture, but in your new file you created (C:\o2viewer\M16). When you have located it, press 'open', 'apply', then 'ok'. Then proceed to do this to all of the textures your model uses. (you do not need to do this for the muzzle flash).
6. When your finished with everything, you simply stuff the M16 file and it will create a PBO as i am sure you already know http://www.flashpoint1985.com/ikonboard301/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif And presto... your textures should work ingame.
Hope this helps ya... and i'm sorry if it comes across as elementary to most of you folks... but i'm trying to make it as easy as possible. God knows i needed it spelled out for me!
May 23 2002, 04:34
Thanx!!!!! Elementary is the only way I can understand! http://www.flashpoint1985.com/ikonboard301/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
well im glad you got everything sorted out ok http://www.flashpoint1985.com/ikonboard301/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
May 29 2002, 23:53
Hmm... how can it be that I can only see a texture in the viewer if I put it in the root together with the viewer application? Even if I do assign a prefix for the texture in o2, put the p3d in a subfolder, and even have the wrong path to the texture, it still shows up in the viewer. Wierd. If I put the texture where I want it, namely in the subfolder with my model, it doesnt show up. This subfolder is located in the root, where the viewer is installed.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.