PDA

View Full Version : Micro Air Vehicle Addon

Feint
Apr 1 2012, 09:31
http://www.lightstormimages.com/gallery/games/arma2/microAirVehicle/mav_logo.gif

This this is purely at the concept stage, but I put together a short video of something I've been working on tonight while taking a break from the Underwater Diving Module.

I made some good progress with controlling a baseball using setVelocity to raise it, lower it, and move it in almost any direction. This would be good for a micro-helicopter simulation or a small bug. I then had the idea of adding a camera to it, and that's when it occurred to me to try out the seagull (or crow). I wrote a script where I spawn a crow and throw it in whatever direction I'm looking. Once the crow is thrown, a looping script gets applied to the bird automatically which first gets my position and then goes to four waypoints around my position. This, of course, could be replaced with a map click at a later date, but it's just a proof of concept. I even ran around the airport and the birds all followed me.

Next I'll write into the code a retrieval of the bird where it returns to my position and lands. I figure it would be a lot easier to create a new model, make it a subclass of the seagull and go from there using the built-in AI of the seagull, rather than reinventing the wheel.

Now I have to learn how to attach a camera to the seagull or just be able to look though the seagull's default camera. cameraEffect, I guess.

IbKO5AHTaRA

lo0se
Apr 1 2012, 10:48
April Fools.

Jedra
Apr 1 2012, 11:04
Creepy as well!

heroes maker
Apr 1 2012, 13:15
Creepy as well!

you are now imagining the crow, replaced by little flying robots that make a permanent BZZZZZZ noise.

"during the night in takistan, a new species began his jouney, the micro-UAV.

with the sound of a bee, this UAV stalk his prey to explode near them, if you look right now, you can see the UAV staking one of his favorite prey : a takistani rebel.

the rebel seems confused and begin the fire with his AK, the fire alerted even more UAV, their BZZZZ sound became even more powerfull, now the prey is scared and begin to run in his house. The prey seems exhausted, but the UAVs try to crash his windows, we can ear the yells of the rebel from our place

*BAM*

there, the micro UAV hunt is over, they explode with their C4 charge in the rebel house, killing him and making a clear way for their best friend : the US special forces, more documentary at 12AM tomorrow"

Jedra
Apr 1 2012, 13:31
It kind of reminded me of the Hitchcock horror film "The Birds". Never been able to look a pidgeon in the eye after that film!

Kremator
Apr 1 2012, 14:42
Christ - it's like watching Hitchcock's THE BIRDS ! (shit, must learn to read the post above - ninja'd by over an hour! Nice Jedra !)

See - I told you that you needed another project :) Now if only someone turned their attention to firing from vehicles ;) OR what about proper Mechs!

EDIT: Anyone remember the HUNTERKILLERS from Dune? Those little flying syringes. Could be that :)

Nice work mate !

Nike619
Apr 1 2012, 17:03
That is way to creepy.

Feint
Apr 1 2012, 21:20
Test 02 of the Micro Air Vehicle concept. Here I launch the MAV, activate a second camera attached to the MAV, then recall and recover the MAV. Eventually I am going to have to figure out how to make a dialog and add one to the camera view. Then I could control the camera, the position of the MAV and close the camera on command. Right now, I have it set to end after 10 seconds or something.

FEdY-PDJ5DU

Oh, in the previous video at the top of the thread, I figure with a little scripting, I could throw an object and have all of the birds attack it. Then delete the object and have them return to normal flight loops. It would look like I was throwing out bird seed or something. I think it would be pretty cool.

heroes maker
Apr 2 2012, 18:06
nice now you just have to make the MAV model and the annoying sound

Baraka
Apr 2 2012, 19:50
Great idea! I had a similar concept long time ago, but never got the scripting part. When it helps i can make you an UAV (MAV or another).
PM me if you need some help with models. This kind of stuff would be awesome for Infantry combat. Maybe you should add some Noise for the bird-cam.

frostybowman
Apr 3 2012, 14:35
Dr. Grant: Amazing... uniform direction changes. Just like a flock of birds evading a predator.

Timmy: Uh, they're flocking this way...

J-Guid
Apr 3 2012, 16:26
Feint change crows to poppys or shit :D

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

realy good idea, to make a micro self-aimig uav with small explosion charges :)

Kremator
Apr 3 2012, 18:55
Flying shit would be a 'crap' MAV :)

Feint
Apr 5 2012, 05:54
Question for the audience:
Never mind. :) Figured it out.

Feint
Apr 6 2012, 04:39
OK, I have three questions:

setGroupIconsVisible [true,true] (http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setGroupIconsVisible) doesn't seem to work in a camera view like a cutscene camera. Does anyone know how to get groupIcons visible in a camera view (not on a minimap, but in the actual camera view similar to what is on the BIS UAV views)? I know the BIS UAVs are using a unit looking through a scope and that's how they do it. Because I'm using a cutscene camera, I'm hoping there's a way to superimpose those icons over the camera view. :) Anyone know?
If I have the following script:

_caller = _this select 1;

onMapSingleClick {

_caller setVariable ["nameOfVariable",something,true];

onMapSingleClick {};true;
};

How do I get _caller = _this select 1 to be inside the scope of the onMapSingleClick?
Is there a way to call up a map while viewing a cutscene camera view? showMap true WANTS to work, but it doesn't. The screen flickers as if the map is trying to show, but it's almost as if it's stuck on a layer underneath the camera view or maybe the camera view is covering it up instantly. Is there a way to set the camera view to a certain layer of the UI and have the map above it? I know some of these problems could be solved by just attaching a unit to the MAV and using that as a camera, but I just don't want to do that. :)

Feint
Apr 6 2012, 14:39
tdNgjKV_4kk

Right now I'm using some elements from the BIS uav display, but I'd like to figure out how to make my own display and add some more info to it and get rid of the "locked" text on the sides.

stk2008
Apr 6 2012, 15:07
Im loving the birds at the start.

Would there be a way to make them attack players and cause damage and all so take damage?.

I want to make a sandbox zombie type mission and want to have zombies and dogs that attack but birds would all so be a great enemy :) say a crow or some thing LOL

Feint
Apr 7 2012, 02:48
Baraka came through and made a great looking RQ-11 Raven model along with a monitor. Scientists are still working on some of the final details, but look out for a video soon showing this bird in flight.

http://www.lightstormimages.com/gallery/games/arma2/microAirVehicle/MAV_scientists-01_LR.jpg (http://www.lightstormimages.com/gallery/games/arma2/microAirVehicle/MAV_scientists-01.jpg)

EDIT: Improved the normal map a little.
http://www.lightstormimages.com/gallery/games/arma2/microAirVehicle/MAV_scientists-02_LR.jpg (http://www.lightstormimages.com/gallery/games/arma2/microAirVehicle/MAV_scientists-02.jpg)

froggyluv
Apr 7 2012, 02:50
Haha -great shot there. Something tells me you would make a masterpiece of a campaign *coughs*

Glowbal
Apr 7 2012, 13:49
That's looking very awesome. Love the screenshot :P

Raptor 6 Actual
Apr 7 2012, 18:22
Looks like cuts in the the Fiscal Budget caused those scientists to have to work outside instead of a sterile lab, lol. Great work Feint as always.

Feint
Apr 8 2012, 03:28
Haha. No, it's a first prototype flight test. They are just doing final tweaks to the balance of the airframe.

Does anyone want to design a nice display for this module? I'm currently using parts of the BIS UAV display, but it's not perfect. Ideally, I'd like something with red boxes over any units and vehicles similar to the Kestrel display here:
http://www.avinc.com/uas/kestrel/

Here's an example of the overlay on the real Raven display:
7TiIhq8L6Vs

Feint
Apr 8 2012, 07:49
Update video time. Here's a changelog:

Added a strobe so you can find the Raven at night after landing
Changed around the addActions so that they are less obtrusive when not being used (the menu expands when a Raven is in flight).
Added colors and more clear wording to the addActions
Added more details to the normal maps for the Raven as well as the GCS
Raven no longer sinks into the ground after landing
Added an animation to hold the GCS when looking at the camera feed and angled the GCS so it looks like you are looking at it from 3rd person view
Changed minimum and maximum altitude limits for the Raven (10 meters to 150 meters)
FEATURES:

Point and click auto flight
Auto landing (returns to GCS)
Accurate launching of the Raven using setVelocity to simulate throwing
Ability to launch the Raven while riding in vehicles
Ability to carry and drop Raven
Ability to assemble and disassemble Raven to and from a standalone backpack
Custom sounds for servos, engine noise and flight/landing complete indicator
Post-landing strobe light and beep for night retrieval of Raven
Ground Control System camera with realtime date stream:

Distance of Raven from GCS
Current Altitude ATL
Azimuth of camera (compass direction)
Current Date and Time
Mini-Map of GCS
Map marker tracking of GCS, Raven and Raven's target positions
Map marks can be made at Raven camera target position

K-JPZAFKv0c

Zirkle
Apr 8 2012, 08:36
Very nice! This is going to make an awesome addition to the game. Can't wait to see this thing in action during an operation!

Glowbal
Apr 8 2012, 10:55
Looks great! Can you take the Raven and the GCS with you in a backpack?

Kremator
Apr 8 2012, 15:11
VERY impressive. Loving it.

Meatball0311
Apr 8 2012, 16:24
Update video time. Here's a changelog:

Added a strobe so you can find the Raven at night.
Changed around the addActions so that they are less obtrusive when not being used (the menu expands when a Raven is in flight).
Added colors and more clear wording to the addActions
Added more details to the normal maps for the Raven as well as the GCS
Raven no longer sinks into the ground after landing
Added an animation to hold the GCS when looking at the camera feed and angled the GCS so it looks like you are looking at it from 3rd person view
Changed minimum and maximum altitude limits for the Raven (10 meters to 150 meters)

FEATURES:

Point and click auto flight
Auto landing (returns to GCS)
Accurate launching of the Raven using setVelocity to simulate throwing
Ability to launch the Raven while riding in vehicles
Custom sounds for servos, engine noise and flight/landing complete indicator
Post-landing strobe light for night retrieval of Raven
Ground Control System camera with realtime date stream:

Distance of Raven from GCS
Current User-Set Altitude
Current Date and Time
Mini-Map of GCS
Map marker tracking of GCS, Raven and Raven's target positions

Just simply amazing.... awesome work!

Kremator
Apr 8 2012, 18:49
How easy is it to kill this UAV? Can AI target it ? Does it have a much reduced lock-on profile ?

Feint
Apr 8 2012, 23:18
Looks great! Can you take the Raven and the GCS with you in a backpack?

Not at the moment. I am not very good at configs and I don't know how to declare an object as "able to be put into a backpack". If you know how, or if anyone knows how, please let me know. I already have two versions of the Raven, one that flies and one that is static.

How easy is it to kill this UAV? Can AI target it ? Does it have a much reduced lock-on profile ?

I have disabled the Raven from being able to be shot. I can enable it, but it would create a few problems with the scripts at the moment. Do you think it should be able to be shot down?

And it doesn't have a "side" as in East, West or whatever. So AI won't target it. It's considered a nonAIVehicle like a bird or an insect by the game and its AI.

J-Guid
Apr 8 2012, 23:58
ha ha great start man :)! keep it up :)

Kremator
Apr 8 2012, 23:59
As it doesn't have a side, then don't worry.

J-Guid
Apr 8 2012, 23:59
O! you can use that stuf in your Diving addon, for hidden recon :)!

GIAT industries
Apr 9 2012, 00:13
Awasome! Feint, you're the man! btw, will it be possible to change the altitude?

Feint
Apr 9 2012, 00:57
Awasome! Feint, you're the man! btw, will it be possible to change the altitude?

Yes, that was in the video, actually but you have to watch at full screen to see the action menu. You can set a new target and add or subtract altitude in 10 meter increments. When in the camera view, you can not change altitude, but I'm thinking about implementing it. Unfortunately, with scope limitations being what they are and me not knowing a lot about how to bring into a scope local variables that are outside of that scope, I'm relying on global variables for some of this. I'm not sure if that will negatively impact multiplayer implementation. I hope it won't.

GIAT industries
Apr 9 2012, 09:54
Nice!

I've got another question... In your video, the UAV seems to be on a pick up truck... Is it possible to put on a vehicule?

Kremator
Apr 9 2012, 10:01
Changing altitude in camera view would be ideal, perhaps look at how LurchiderLurch does it in his AC130 (that would help I reckon).

YEAH you got my 4000th post ! Must be an omen !

Scarecrow398
Apr 9 2012, 12:19
OMFG A UAV that actually works, when can we has!?!?

Tankieboy2
Apr 9 2012, 20:00
Fantastic work fella!

Feint
Apr 10 2012, 03:26
Nice!

I've got another question... In your video, the UAV seems to be on a pick up truck... Is it possible to put on a vehicule?

Oh, no, sorry. I just used attachTo to put it into the back of the truck for ambiance for the video. Normally, the Raven is stored in a backpack and I believe another unit stores the control stuff in another backpack. This I haven't simulated yet as I'm still learning about CfgWeapon and CfgVehicle stuff. I think I can set the static Raven as a SecondaryWeapon, which would take up as much room as a LAW. But that would remove the backpack of the unit which would suck. So instead, I think I want to set it as a PrimaryWeapon and then it could be stored inside a backpack. Right? Now I just have to figure out how to do that. Do I make the static Raven into a vehicle or a weapon or either or neither or both?

Would it be useful to change the diameter of the circle? I noticed in the video when I was approaching the lighthouse at full zoom that it was a good angle for not being noticed by the target of the Raven. Right now, the radius is 80 meters. But I could change it to anything or make it able to be controlled by the player when in-camera. Maybe shift up arrow and shift down arrow?

Changing altitude in camera view would be ideal, perhaps look at how LurchiderLurch does it in his AC130 (that would help I reckon).

I know how to do it with global variables. I have to read up on how global variables work in multiplayer. I'm usually scared to use them but maybe I'm misunderstanding the relationship or difference between global variables and public variables. Multiplayer coding is totally new to me at the moment.

OMFG A UAV that actually works, when can we has!?!?

When it's done or when I'm happy with it or when I give up on it and release it as is. Same as all of my other addons. :)

Sup3r6F0ur
Apr 10 2012, 04:05
Great, I could use this for my Act of Valor campaign when I kick off the project this summer. Can't wait bro, keep it up! :yay: Also if you made it a magazine that took up say... 4 slots that would be Ideal. This way it would allow both ACE and Vanilla compatability with the game. (Honestly it would be great to see this work in the ACE version and the Ruck Sack's) Both ways though it would work well with the Rucks/Backpacks.

Myshaak
Apr 10 2012, 09:28
Amazing, great job! Looking forward to the release!

Glowbal
Apr 10 2012, 10:52
So instead, I think I want to set it as a PrimaryWeapon and then it could be stored inside a backpack. Right? Now I just have to figure out how to do that. Do I make the static Raven into a vehicle or a weapon or either or neither or both?

What about a magazine or an item? With a magazine you can even have it take up multiple slots to represent the size of the thing?

Sup3r6F0ur
Apr 10 2012, 12:22
What about a magazine or an item? With a magazine you can even have it take up multiple slots to represent the size of the thing?

Not exactly sure how but like the BIS M240 magazines, the Rockets for AT Launchers ect ect take up multiple slots. Im sure you can do the same with this thing.

Abs
Apr 10 2012, 12:36
Not exactly sure how but like the BIS M240 magazines, the Rockets for AT Launchers ect ect take up multiple slots. Im sure you can do the same with this thing.

Here you go. I found this out through trial and error, but at least the information here is laid out clear as day for all to see.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgWeapons_Config_Reference#Magazine_Sizes

Abs

Bad Benson
Apr 10 2012, 15:12
dude u gotta cut down on the awesome! way too much awesome for one person!

Feint
Apr 10 2012, 15:23
Here you go. I found this out through trial and error, but at least the information here is laid out clear as day for all to see.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgWeapons_Config_Reference#Magazine_Sizes

Abs

I like this line:
"Note that specific ArmA2 women can only carry magazines and smallequipment (for their boyfriends?) and nothing else."

I saw this info before in my own research and wasn't sure if I had to make a weapon for the magazines. Like, do I have to make a fake weapon and then magazines for that weapon could be the Raven (or the controller)? Or maybe the weapon could be "Put" or "Throw"?

Baraka
Apr 10 2012, 20:16
Hi Feint,
Great fun to see your fantastic pics and videos! This will be a awesome expansion with an high field of usability.
After all the positive feedback here, i thought about reworking the GCS. Coz it´s only a 30 min quickwork, i´m not very happy with it. You know it wasn´t planned from beginning so i didn´t put to much love in it.
I thought also to make one Raven with folded wings for the weapon\magazin-Slot. Would be cool along with the "my shoe is open"-medic Animation to unfold.
What are your thought´s about this?

Feint
Apr 10 2012, 20:30
Sure, I can use a folded Raven, or one in pieces (there are vids on Youtube of the assembly process). If you want to make a more detailed controller, that's fine with me but as you don't really see the controller that much, except if you drop it on the ground out of your inventory, it might not be the best use of your time. I still need to figure out gear and inventory stuff.

I will PM you with another idea.

Abs
Apr 11 2012, 01:10
I like this line:
"Note that specific ArmA2 women can only carry magazines and smallequipment (for their boyfriends?) and nothing else."

I saw this info before in my own research and wasn't sure if I had to make a weapon for the magazines. Like, do I have to make a fake weapon and then magazines for that weapon could be the Raven (or the controller)? Or maybe the weapon could be "Put" or "Throw"?

lol...as we all know, Arma is a simulator. :p

You don't have to make a weapon to have a magazine. You can carry mags by themselves. Put/throw would be fitting, though, and may actually work for what you want to achieve.

Abs

Feint
Apr 12 2012, 03:12
Roger that. Thanks for the info. I'll be looking into it, but might release this before I figure it out. We'll see how the wind blows.

UPDATE:
Recent Changes:

Added the ability to change the Raven's altitude while in camera view
Removed altitude change addActions from the player menu - smoother interface
Added ability to change diameter of Raven's circle around the target while in camera view
Added on-screen indicators for:

Raven altitude changes
Target Circle diameter changes
Minimum and maximum values reached
Instructions for controlling the Raven while in flight
Direction Heading of Raven
Current Altitude of Raven
Current Distance of Raven from ground controller

Here's a video I put together using the RQ-11 Raven in the spotter role along with the Simple Support Module that comes with Arma2. It takes a little while, but by paying attention to the direction indicator of the Raven, using the map marker to mark times and locations of spotted enemy vehicles and infantry, and comparing the terrain features with the map contours, I was finally able to put some ordinance on target.

iYKZBB58jbU

FYI, the green bar on the right is probably because I'm trying out a demo version of Sony Vegas to edit this video. I'm sick of Windows Live Movie Maker failing after spending an hour editing together a video.

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

By the way, does anyone know how to format "time" so that if it is 7:30am, it doesn't say, "7:3" ? I would prefer to have the zero in there. Same with the compass return using getDir. Instead of round (getDir player) returning 12 degrees, I'd like it to say 012. Is there a script anyone knows about that does this? Maybe I should search first. :|

Feint
Apr 20 2012, 03:36
I've been able to create a new backpack config and have it execute commands through addActions. That was a hurdle for me because I am not good at configs. Baraka created some separate parts for the Raven and I was able to create a sequence where they are built or broken down using my old friend attachTo. The two sequences look pretty good to me but I might tweak them a little bit.

The nice thing about this is that you don't have to add anything special to your mission like a module that you sync. You can just add the backpack to a unit or drop the backpack somewhere in the editor and have a unit retrieve it at mission start. To use the Raven, just take off your backpack, assemble the Raven, launch it, perform your mission, retrieve the Raven, break it down into the backpack, put on your backpack and move to your next location. This way, you can also hand off the backpack to someone else who can then build and launch a Raven. This is still untested in multiplayer, but I'm hopeful that there won't be too many problems.

I've also added a "reveal" command that I have to tweak a little. Basically, when the Raven overflies troops, laser markers, land vehicles, aircraft or ships, it will "reveal" them to the group of the person operating the Raven (i.e. add the information to the map the way you can see an enemy soldier on the map after you see him). It's a little hit or miss revealing them, having their locations show up on the map, then fade out over time. And it seems like when the Raven flies right over the same troops, the locations are not updated in real time. This might have to do with the way I'm using the reveal command:

_scanDiameter = 250; // radius - not diameter
_objects = nearestObjects [position _microAirVehicle, ["LaserTarget","Ship","Air","Man","LandVehicle"], _scanDiameter];

// _objects = _microAirVehicle nearTargets _scanDiameter; // TRIED THIS AND GOT NO RESULTS

{(group _caller) reveal _x} forEach _objects;

This gets repeated every 2 seconds.

I tried using nearTargets, but didn't get any results revealed, maybe because the _microAirVehicle doesn't have a "side". I'm not sure I'm using the command correctly so I just went back to nearestObjects.

Left to do is figure out how to make displays and make a better display for the RQ-11 Raven. I might also just rename this addon "RQ-11 Raven" rather than "Micro Aerial Vehicle Module". What do you all think?

Here's a video demonstrating the new functionality (reuploaded because of problems):
y7GHD2w_l6M

Kremator
Apr 20 2012, 16:15
Superb!

/me rubs hands together in anticipation!

andersson
Apr 20 2012, 22:16
Can you put the unit closer to the ground, so its built "on the ground" instead of in the air?

One thing I personally dont really like is UIs center screen. I would love to see it in the lower right corner, or center right.

You are inventing very cool and useful addons, cant wait to play with them :)

Kremator
Apr 20 2012, 23:15
One thing I personally dont really like is UIs center screen.

That isn't part of MAV andresson. It's something like Truemods GUI.

Feint
Apr 21 2012, 04:55

Thank you. I seem to answer this question more than any other.

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:52 ----------

Can you put the unit closer to the ground, so its built "on the ground" instead of in the air?

You are inventing very cool and useful addons, cant wait to play with them :)
Sure. Probably a good idea.

Kremator
Apr 21 2012, 16:31

...and perhaps have the engineer animations play at the same time (the one where it looks like they are changing a tyre)? That may fit in nicely.

andersson
Apr 21 2012, 22:26

Ok, then its all good. Then I wont suggest the same in your diver thread ;)

Feint
Apr 23 2012, 02:02
...and perhaps have the engineer animations play at the same time (the one where it looks like they are changing a tyre)? That may fit in nicely.

I am going to look for a different animation. That one is used for everything. I hate being locked into an animation though... I kind of like just walking around it as it's being built. I redid the assembly animation. It's cooler now... :)

Shashman
Apr 26 2012, 04:57
The Raven was in the news today by the way. A pair of Taiwanese nationals were caught by undercover US agents, trying to aquire an example for the People's Republic of China. They were also after an E-2 Hawkeye... A bit harder to conceal in luggage than the little RQ-11 I should think.

Dillzter
Apr 26 2012, 18:39
if only i had the paid version... great concept, great everything, ill keep looking at this, and probably eventually get it when i get the paid version

Feint
Apr 27 2012, 15:07
The Raven was in the news today by the way. A pair of Taiwanese nationals were caught by undercover US agents, trying to aquire an example for the People's Republic of China. They were also after an E-2 Hawkeye... A bit harder to conceal in luggage than the little RQ-11 I should think.

China has spent decades reverse engineering Western inventions. Seems to work for them. It puts them behind the times, but they save a ton of money on R&D. I didn't know that the Raven was any kind of super secret invention. They should just masquerade as a YouTube channel host as the comedian who runs Rated RR got great access to the RQ-11.

if only i had the paid version... great concept, great everything, ill keep looking at this, and probably eventually get it when i get the paid version

Arma2 is an addiction. Being an open world, you can basically do anything you can imagine. It's the best value in games, bar none, mostly because of the support of the community and the fact that the community doesn't/can't charge for addons and scripts (unlike the FSX community that charges money for anything worthwhile). It's a policy that's kept our community much more honest than the FSX community which seems rife with stealing and bickering.

QUICK UPDATE: I've been looking into making a display to replace the temporary BIS UAV display that's currently in the camera view. It's complicated (for me) and going slowly. But I have a half day of work today and hope I can make some progress on it.

Also, I've changed the "workflow" from backpack to launch. Basically it's:

BACKPACK <<->> BLANKET WITH PARTS <<->> ASSEMBLED RAVEN >> ATTACH RAVEN TO PLAYER (ready for launch) >> LAUNCH RAVEN

When the Raven is attached to the player ready for launch, if you get into a vehicle, the Raven sort of prevents a Hummer from driving forward. I like the idea of being able to launch the Raven from a boat or the back of a truck. But I haven't decided exactly what that would look like. Also, since you can't use addActions in a vehicle that were assigned to the player outside of that vehicle, that means I have to script a way of adding those actions to the vehicle but making them only visible to the player that "owns" the Raven, so to speak. Or I could just skip all of that and make it so you can't launch from a vehicle and release this addon sooner.

Kremator
Apr 27 2012, 20:06
Skip the launch from vehicles. Not needed IMO.

Porter707
Apr 27 2012, 23:04

Agreed, acting as the JTAC/FAC for my Group I can see myself using this addon from the Ground quite often to maintain situational awareness throughout the AO.

Sup3r6F0ur
Apr 27 2012, 23:43

Would not need to be top on the prorities but still handy if your on a boat and you want to recon the Target area before you arrive, that would work great.

Feint
Apr 28 2012, 08:53
I suppose the workaround is to just launch the Raven before getting into a boat or vehicle. But to access the camera, you have to be out of a vehicle. Well, hmm. OK, thanks for the inputs.

Feint
Apr 29 2012, 04:21
I created my first display ever. Wow, what a pain in the ass.

I'm still getting a config error from BinPBO but I have no idea what it is referring to in the display hpp file which I've linked to the config with an #include statement. Everything works fine in game. I get no errors in the RPT file. But that binPBO is usually pretty good at pointing out the flaws in my coding. So I'm at a loss.

Here are two quick screenshots of what I've come up with so far:
http://www.lightstormimages.com/gallery/games/arma2/microAirVehicle/MAV_display-01_LR.jpg (http://www.lightstormimages.com/gallery/games/arma2/microAirVehicle/MAV_display-01.jpg) http://www.lightstormimages.com/gallery/games/arma2/microAirVehicle/MAV_display-02_LR.jpg (http://www.lightstormimages.com/gallery/games/arma2/microAirVehicle/MAV_display-02.jpg)

And here's a video demonstrating the new assembly, new landing and the new display.
Yzn47qIpV5w

Baraka
Apr 29 2012, 11:00
:bounce3: That looks hot like hell!

Glowbal
Apr 29 2012, 11:13
The display looks nice!

Are you going to make it MP compatible and if so, have you tested it on the dedicated yet?

Kremator
Apr 29 2012, 11:18
Very nice indeed.

JSF 82nd Reaper
Apr 30 2012, 08:59
Great Job! Can't wait to use it in game.

[APS]Gnat
Apr 30 2012, 11:13
Very cool

John1000
Apr 30 2012, 13:40
Gnat;2142472']Very cool
Feint,what about making it out so that it can Laser Paint a target for a Arty barrage with a invisable laser,thus making it somewhat ready for use in Arma 3?
What if we could use it to locate missing people at sea by some sort of added ELB,a sort of a Beacon device for pilots.
It will be Great if you can make a simple thing also that won`t take up much of you`re time anyway:https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rXtWMudiDVAWq70vvwCPCNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
It a" AR. DRONE".

AzUme
Apr 30 2012, 14:16
Awesome!

mrcash2009
Apr 30 2012, 14:40
Well I have to say this is perfect for handy mobile recon, plenty of missions I can already see use for this esp SF stealth missions.

Feint
May 1 2012, 18:42
Thanks all. I am trying to keep this somewhat realistic. So the laser designator is a no go mainly because they are too heavy to fit on a uav of this size but also because this particular raven is not the upgraded model with the gimbal camera. It is the one with the two fixed cameras, fore and port. Also, launching this particular bird from a downed pilot isn't realistic because it is too large and requires support equipment that a pilot would never eject with.

As for multiplayer, I am concentrating on getting this working for singleplayer. If it works in multiplayer, great! Otherwise, I will most likely need some help. My main concern with multiplayer is getting the raven to move as I am using camera commands on a non-ai vehicle that is spawned with createVehicle. CreateVehicle should work fine in MP but I know cameras are local. So maybe the launcher of the Raven will see it flying in circles, but others might not. But this is pure speculation.

---------- Post added at 12:42 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Oh, I'm realizing I misread your request John1000. The Raven actually already does alert the group of the person viewing the Raven camera feed with icons on the map indicating positions of all land, sea or air objects that it sees. If it doesn't get a good look at something, it puts a question mark on the map. This is vanilla map work, nothing special. I just set the script to "reveal" to the group of the player the nearest objects within certain categories closest to the raven within a certain distance. The Arma2 engine does the rest. So the map icons will disappear over time if those objects are not viewed directly by the players. Best practice is to run the raven over an area and then mark the map manually with unit and vehicle positions along with the time those positions were revealed. A vanilla bug is that the raven doesn't seem to "track" those icons on the map in realtime. It seems to reveal objects once and that's it. Weird bug that I can't figure out. But nearestObjects is an unreliable command.

Feint
May 2 2012, 08:46
Nice!

By the way, I've added the ability to pick up and drop the Raven. I figured once you picked it up to launch it, there might come a situation where you might not want to deploy it anymore. So I just added an addaction to drop it. And I tested dropping it into the back of a pickup and it works pretty well. It stays in the back of the pickup as long as you don't drive too fast. If you go too fast or drive really crazy with sharp turns, it can fall out of the back.

I also changed the distance at which it turns off its engine and falls to the ground. It was 10 meters, but not it's 14. I like it better. Now if you are on a roof, there's a chance it can land on the roof with you (or at least hit the wall of the building and fall to the ground--rather than going inside the building never to be retrieved).

I also changed around the display so that it works in many different screen resolutions with font sizes that scale depending on your screen resolution and aspect ratio. Hmm. What else? I tried to add a front camera, but it didn't work. So I gave up on it because it just adds complication to something that's working pretty well at the moment.

Oh, I also found that in urban environments, sometimes it would land in an alley or on the other side of a building and during the day, it was hard to find. So I added a locator beep that sounds every 2 seconds along with the strobe. So you should be able to find it now a bit more easily.

I removed the minimap when I made my own display. Not sure how to implement a minimap so I'm skipping it for now.

Baraka made a new and improved monitor (GCS) model with new textures which I also enhanced with some details. All of the parts have collision so they can be kicked around on the ground. I changed their scope so you can't see them in the editor. But if you guys want, I can change it back so that you can play with the wings and nose cone and other parts if you want. Let me know.

short_German
May 3 2012, 23:16
cool !
but if we cant see them in the editor how are we supposed to place them for use ?? i mean it would look cool having a table with the kit on it standing in a hangar right ?
keep up the good work i cant wait to use it :)

Feint
May 5 2012, 05:01
cool !
i mean it would look cool having a table with the kit on it standing in a hangar right ?

I feel the same way. :)

QUICK UPDATE: RELEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.lightstormimages.com/gallery/games/arma2/microAirVehicle/RQ-11_LOGO.png (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?134031-RQ-11-Raven-A&p=2144663)

Kremator
May 5 2012, 08:17
WTG mate ! Thankyou so much !