View Full Version : What exactly do people do in CTI mode?
Jun 20 2011, 04:27
I have just started playing multiplayer and whilst COOP missions are pretty straightforward I was wondering what people exactly do in the CTI mode?
Do people actually use AI or just lone wolf it/play with teammates instead?
Apart from capturing towns what else do people usually do? I feel so left out I have nfi what people are doing half the time. Are they killing the enemies HQ or something? Is that a more important objective than capturing towns?
Pretty much a standard multiplayer session for me is join game, make a bunch of AI, attempt to load them into trucks and send them to a town but they seem retarded and won't use the roads opting to drive over a mountain instead, i figured I could use waypoints but the option to place waypoints is greyed out for some reason?
What is the best way to learn? Follow someone around or something?
to summarize CTI :-
1. Capture town to buff your team income and supply.
2. Kill the other team player to halt their advance.
3. Capture their town to weaken them or defend yours
4. Kill their base to end the game.
Well i can give an example on what i do and how i play Benny warfare missions.
1. Check the spawn option parameter (option - support - parameter)
- if camp spawn on, grab a car and try to cap a camp without dying. (group with others and it will be easier)
- Off - ask who have the ambulance and follow them. so you can respawn at it. The more time you spend attacking is better than wasting it driving to AO.
2. If i joined early in the game, my main purpose will be capping towns and try to capture disabled resistance vehicles. If you are not an engineer try to hang around one and ask them to repair it for you or bring an AI engineer. You will be able to capture town better with captured enemy vehicles.
3. Mid game - Usually you will encounter the opposition team by now and you can decide more roles to do.
- Continue capping more town by staying away from enemy opposition if you are not good with PvP.
- If you like PvP, lay ambush for opposition teams or go for wit and cat/mouse fight to hold a town against another player (remember to ask for help from your team mates- they will usually help if they are close enough)
4. Late in the game
- Continue harassing enemy towns or defending yours while looking for enemy base
Now the big question is how for you to play the game?
That is the best thing with arma2 CTI since the invention of cheezeburger.
You can decide what role you want to do and there's so many that you can try.
1. Be an AI infantry commander
- bring AI to support you, they are really good at ambushing and most effective when stationary. So i usually let them stay behind and they will shoot any enemy that i encounter. Not so effective if the enemy is too far tho. Remember to bring an ambulance so you can respawn if you died.
- Their driving will depend on the alert level, they will always try to use road on aware but will try to go as straight as possible on danger.
- your commander should make a base that is AI friendly, close to the road and etc. if not they will inform and you dont let AI drive from that base! Only buy vehicles if you are going to drive it yourself.
- You should know by now that AI is a really good aimbot but have a slow response time compared to player. Take advantage of it, you should be their eyes and they will automatically shoot the enemy that you report. Sending them attacking alone is completely worthless that is why your are the commanding officer. Hold their fire, creep forward and watch how they open fire and kill the enemies.
- Send 1 AI as a scout and he will report any enemy he saw and you will see how your other AI support him.
AI is not really dumb, you just need to know how to lead them properly. defending/ambush is always better than moving while attacking. Well, their driving really do suck tho XD
2. Repair truck mayhem.
- Construct stuffs to assist you in capping towns or laying ambushes on enemy routes. You'll be surprise how easy it is to cap town when you lay some wall that you can hide behind. Just get your Ai to run behind and get them to manned some fix weapon later. Lay minefield, AT ambush, AA and etc. so many fun things that you can do!!
3. Mechanized Infantry
- move fast, cap town and use your vehicles as support for your AI. Just stay away if you see tanks roaming around tho.
4. Tank commander
- Tank is bad ass but gets pwned by enemy infantry with AT hiding behind bushes or corner of a building. Use it to support your team mates or watching for enemy advance.
5. Target of opportunity.
- report any enemy activity to your team mates, just remember not ON PUBLIC! especially if you stumbled on enemy base. You can see vehicles smoke trails and check on map if it is your team then follows to ambush him from behind or scout to see if enemy base is near.
6. Artillery commander
- Try attacking a town after an artillery barrage and see how easy it is. Remember to get your arty far from base because you can accidentally kill your base and enemy can see your arty firing from far away.
7. Defend the sky!!
- Concentrate on killing enemy air from finding your base by hiding in crook and crannies of the land and shooting them when they pass over you.
- Go deep into enemy lines and harass their towns, they might send a few player after you and keeping them off the frontlines. A town that have just been captured by the enemy have low SV and easier to cap too.
9. AIR superiority
Dont bother with this unless you're really good or have a lot of money, use it as supporting role because air units cannot capture towns and some town resistance have AA inf and dont let AI fly your air unit!! I see some team loses because everyone start buying choppers and no one is defending the ground.
If you are good with it
- Maintain air superiority, kill all enemy air.
- Support your team capping town or fighting enemy teams, you will live longer than flying blindly and stumbling upon enemy hunting for your team Air unit.
- Hunt enemy player en route to the frontline
- Spotting enemy base
I'm sure there are more roles you can do based on your gameplay style, that's what makes it so addictive because there's so many things you can try. So try one role and when you have become good in it you can try others too.
Dont be shy to ask in the game, just dont ask some really noob question like how do i select AI or something. Do try the basic stuffs on SP 1st, BTW you can download the CTI mission and run it on your pc for you to try stuffs like being a commander and ETC. It really pisses people off if you ask some basic stuffs that you can actually try for your self on SP.
Just remember, dont intentionally basehunt early in the game. It spoils the game for everyone and shorten your game.
You can download it here and run in MP http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=82201&highlight=warfare just disable all the team leader AI in parameter if your pc is not powerful enough.
another link - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7313&highlight=WARFARE
Jun 20 2011, 08:32
Thanks for the tips.
Will definitely try benny warfare on SP
Jun 20 2011, 16:01
The MP playstyle depends on where you play. CTI is very good fun though.
Jun 27 2011, 12:11
I almost always go out of my way to avoid using AI. But I usually have a clanmate or 3 playing with me while we tromp through towns and enemy bases. So I never need them.
1 tank with two human players is twice as effective as 4 AI driven tanks.
If you're feeling left out, ask around for people who are willing to include you in some teamwork. In large CTI servers, it seems like everyone has a social phobia. But most will jump at the chance to participate in some engaging teamwork.
If that doesn't work, join a clan who frequents CTI servers. :P Not every Arma clan is a hardcore Coop team.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.